The Picture Book

(Place cursor over picture too see a brief description)

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Reduce - Walk to Work

Although vast distances in the US makes conservation efforts particularly challenging, we can still make good choices for the sake of the environment. I believe that commuting constitutes most of the gasoline guzzling activities, and this is where I made a conscious choice to live close to work to dramatically REDUCE my carbon footprint.

- I can walk to work within 20 minutes, and get a exercise as well.

- I REDUCE gasoline consumption and carbon emission, and save as much as $100 per month.

- One less car on the road helps to REDUCE traffics, which in turn helps to REDUCE more carbon emissions, and so on.

- Close distance to work results in cheaper car insurance, longer car lifetime, etc, which are more beneficial and economical in the long run.

- We eliminate the need for a second car, thus further helping the environment, traffics and our savings.

- Living close to work has been good for my soul. I sleep a bit longer and return home earlier, I do not get frustrated by traffic, and I do not worry about accidents, car breaking down, or getting speeding tickets.

- We still cannot avoid driving at times, but we schedule and consolidate our driving trips wisely and efficiently.

2 comments:

Polarbear said...

Expert said after the crude oil price up to $250 per barrel, people will start thinking about alternative to replace driving...

I hope not. Taking European cities as example, they have biking routes on street to facilitate their safe riding. They are not expensive design but help enormously to reduce carbon emission.

oasis said...

Frankly I hope gasoline hits $250 per barrel soon enough as to force the world to take green-movement seriously.